Living in NYC is not cheap – it is not a secret. But, on the other hand, this city is not small and it has plenty of different neighborhoods to choose from. Each one of them is different and unique. When it comes to the costs of living, monthly rent is one of the major costs people have. That is why you should be focused on the location. It is a way to get an affordable living in NYC.
Pros of living in NYC
New York City is one of the most expensive places in the USA. It has a lot of reasons for that. With the strong economy, job opportunities, entertainment options, everything you wish for, New York has it.
First, to understand why NYC is so expensive, you need to know what this city has to offer residents and tourists. Why so many people are moving to New York to try their luck? Some of the pros of living here are:
- NYC is the land of opportunity – it has the biggest names in tech, marketing, apparel, journalism, sports, fashion, economy, etc. A lot of people are moving here because of a job.
- It is safe now – NYC is a safe place to live actually. It has plenty of neighborhoods for families and now families with kids love to live here.
- Art and history – it is one of the cultural capitals of the world. 83 museums are located here, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET). Also, history is rich because the first colonies were in this area.
- Diversity – you can hear 200 languages on NY streets. People from all around the world are coming here. You will always fit in.
- Entertainment and social scene – when you are in a big and famous city, the entertainment options are endless. There is always something interesting and fun to do. Meeting new people every day is normal and common here. The city never sleeps, literally.
- Food – A lot of restaurants are located in NYC. Restaurants from all around the world. You can try Italian, Medditerenian, Lebanese, Chinese, Taiwan, Indian, German, French, Mexican cuisines here, just name it.
- Public transportation – driving a car is not recommended in NYC. There is no parking space and the streets are busy. But, public transportation is the best in the world and it will take to every part of NYC, fast and safe. If you want affordable living in NYC, use a subway.
Affordable living in NYC – choose the right location
For affordable life in NYC, you must choose an affordable neighborhood first. Location is the most important factor when choosing a new place where to move to. Consider these places as your new home in the famous New York City.
- Parkchester – this neighborhood is located in the Bronx. The median rent per month is only $1,350, which is very affordable for NYC. To find help around the corner, ask for recommendations and search online.
- Bedford Park – another Bronx neighborhood perfect for families with kids.
- Lindenwood – this beautiful neighborhood is located in Queens. It is a section of Howard Beach.
- Riverdale – known for low real estate prices. Buildings are mostly co-ops and condos.
- Bay Ridge – if you want to live in Brooklyn, explore Bay Ridge as one of the most affordable neighborhoods in this borough. The median rent is $1,600.
What to avoid?
Avoid Manhattan because rent there is the most expensive. Also, finding an NYC apartment on short notice there is not easy because the demand is high. The most affordable NYC boroughs are The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. Research these 3 areas. If you really want to live in Manhattan, consider Yorkville, Hamilton Heights, and East Harlem.
Live a little bit outside of NYC
Have you considered Long Island? It is very close to New York City and a very affordable option. Not only rent is cheaper but also you can rent a bigger house, which is better for families with kids. To move here with ease, you can count on assistance from Long Island, NY. Find a professional moving company from this area and they will help you move in.
But, choose wisely neighborhoods in Long Island because not all places are inexpensive. Some of the affordable neighborhoods in Long Island are Smithtown, Stony Brook, Massapequa Park, Wantagh, and Commack. You do not need a lot of time to arrive from Long Island to Manhattan, for example.
Save money on moving
Move to NYC and save money at the same time. Search online and look for affordable moving companies. Check discounts, try to negotiate, look for first or last-minute offers, etc. Also, keep in mind that moving costs will mostly depend on the size and weight of your items. To cut some of the moving costs, move only the most important items. By the way, apartments in NYC are usually smaller, so you won’t have a lot of storage space in your NYC apartment. Save money on your upcoming relocation because you will need more money after moving to NYC.
Renting a storage unit
Because homes are small and expensive, a lot of people need to keep their items in storage units. They are affordable and easily accessible. Also, you may need a storage unit while you are moving. Until you are finding an apartment or you are renovating it, keep your items in a safe place. Rent a storage space on simplifystorage.com and make your relocation less stressful.
A few more tips
Living with a roommate will help you have affordable life in NYC. You can rent a storage unit together and split the costs and affordable living in NYC is possible when you know how to manage a monthly budget. The city also has affordable neighborhoods for seniors which are worth exploring.